Association for Promoting Sustainability in Campuses & Communities (APSCC) is a professional organization for promoting sustainability in every area among the educational institutions and local communities, based on the principle of intergenerational equity: "as members of the present generation, we hold the earth in full trust for future generations."
APSCC helps the higher educational institutions, and other educational institutes along with schools and other campuses in framing policies, implementing action and research plans, empowering the students and staffs community with the required skills and hand out resources to sustainably implement and manage the conservation strategies and projects related to energy, water, waste, healthy food and biodiversity. All these stated objectives are based on the Principles of International Agenda, "The parties (we) should protect the climate system for the benefit of present and future generations of humankind, on the basis of equity and in accordance with their common but differentiated responsibilities and respective capabilities".
APSCC holds the responsibility for analyzing leading researches and building a tailor made framework which fits into the Indian scenario, to suit the local conditions in the implementation of various strategies programs and projects. The association provides a forum for information exchange and expertise assessment in related fields at the national and international level. It also represents Professionals, Companies and Organizations involved in consulting or providing products and services pertaining to all areas for sustainable development. APSCC will develop innovative programmes and distribute educational materials for learning, training, networking and capacity building in the field of "Education and Sustainable Development (ESD)".
Of late, it seems that weâ€™ve been surrounded by messages about sustainability in almost every aspect of our lives. But what does it all mean? Firstly, we at APSCC believe that sustainability is always evolving and has a personal flavor, since the success of each and every citizen automatically ensures the success of the community. With regard to the saying "A cord of many strands cannot be broken easily", our main agenda is to integrate social, economical, ecological and environmental aspects of sustainability into the practices of the next generation of leaders, in the hopes of creating a holistic prosperity.
Secondly, the Green Campus Initiative for sustainability is duly based on the precautionary principle 15 of Rio Declaration which states that "Where there are threats of serious or irreversible damage, lack of full scientific certainty shall not be used as a reason for postponing cost effective measures to prevent environmental degradation". We also believe that, in the principles of interdependence, flexibility, diversity and partnership we will drive all our programs forward. It is clearly evident that unlike most industrial ecosystems, the natural ecosystem where all the nutrients are recycled in a closed system portrays the awesome principles of interdependence and partnership and likewise principles of flexibility and diversity enable the ecosystems to survive shocks and adapt to changing local environmental conditions.
Finally, we recognize that the environment is a silent stakeholder in all our operations and we have a commitment to behave responsibly towards it fostering Agenda 21, Millennium Development Goals, mitigating Climate Change and Global Warming. These considerations lead to an important realization that, managing an innovative and environmentally sustainable initiative in all walks of life will not only restore but also conserve and protect the environment where we live in. We invite you to join us is this effort to make a safer and greener "Planet Earth" for the generations to come.
APSCC envisions a world where campuses and communities are environmentally, ecologically and economically sustainable by successfully addressing all the challenges at a more decentralized level, ensuring that due recognition is given to the role of education and research in the promotion of sustainable development.
The formation of APSCC is to serve as an impetus, not-for-profit, and voluntary organization for sustainable development in conservation strategies, programs and projects pertaining to water, energy, waste, healthy food and biodiversity among the educational institutions and local communities based on the principle "the right to development must be fulfilled so as to equitably meet developmental and environmental needs of present and future generations". We do this by providing resources, initiating and promoting sustainable innovations at grassroots level in collaboration with a network of eminent sustainability professionals across the globe.
- Promoting Environmental Sustainability in the Educational Institutions, Industries and upgrading the Quality of life for Marginalized & Coastal Communities
- Promoting Sustainability in Fresh Water Management
- Promoting Sustainability in Waste Management
- Promoting Sustainability in Energy Management
- Promoting Sustainability in Biodiversity Conservation and Habitat Restoration
- Promoting Sustainability in Healthy Food and Food Security
- Promoting Sustainability in Transportation
Core Team and Advisory Counsil
- Nandhivarman Muthu, Executive Director, APSCC.
- Prof. Adriano Ciani, Agricultural Economics and Farm Appraisal, Perugia University, Italy.
- Dr. R. Arun Prasath, Assistant Professor, Centre for Green Energy Technology, Pondicherry University.
- Professor José Baltazar Salgueirinho Osório de Andrade Guerra. Dr. Dean of UNISUL Business School Universidade do Sul de SantaCatarina - UNISUL Executive-Director of JELARE (Joint European and Latin America Renewable Energies Consortium) - ALFA III - European Union
- Golda A. Edwin, Director of Research, APSCC, Puducherry, India.
- Dr. G Nallathambi, Registrar (Retd.), Pondicherry University, Puducherry, India.
- Dr. G. Poyyamoli, Associate Professor, Dept. of Ecology & Environmental Sciences Pondicherry University.
- Dr. V. Ramalingam, Associate Professor, Kanchi Mamunivar Center for Post Graduate Studies Puducherry, India.